I have finished our selection for this month's book club, My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult.
Some thoughts about the book:
I thought it was good. It did hold your interest and attention. I did not think it was a fast read, one that I did not want to put down and just HAD to finish. The premise of the book was a tough one for me....having a child to be a donor for a terminally ill child...and then continuing to have the well child serve as a donor for the ill sibling. I had a hard time relating to the mother in the story and her decisions throughout the book. I felt more of a connection to the father. He seemed to be going through life just trying to get through it and not piss off his wife. The same goes for 2 of her 3 children in the story. I am sure that this book is close to nonfiction for some families, but I am glad that it is pure fiction in my life and family. I am ready for a new selection....one with an easier subject....maybe some fluff.
2 comments:
I have read a few things by Jodi Picoult, and have decided that I do not like her endings. She seems to "tie things up" or something at the end. I was very bothered that from birth to death the second child was a donor.
This book really bothered me too. I never could connect to the mother and her decisions, reasoning, or thought process. I am not sold on her as an author...so I don't know if I will read another one of her books. We'll see....I am sure one will be put in for the book club. And, I agree with you about the second daughter always being the donor...even till the very end.
Post a Comment