I finished the second book selection for our Camp Rudderville Book Club, The Nanny Diaries. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I read this book about 6 years ago. I did not care for it the first time. I thought the main character, Nanny, was a bit annoying.....complaining a bit. The little boy, Grayer, got on my ever-lovin' nerves and his parents, well....if you ever read the book you would know. It was a quick read, but a read that I felt like I forced myself to finish.
Skip ahead 6 years and here I am re-reading the book for our book club. And I must say that I did enjoy it much more the second time. I had a better connection and more understanding for Nanny. I think that is because I am a mother now and I know how difficult it is to raise children. Now raising other people's children, I can not even imagine how difficult that would be. Mine are hard enough... and I'm their MOTHER! Anyway, back to the book, I did like the little boy this time too. He was sweet, lovable, and all-boy. There were many times that I thought of my sweet William and had to go give him kisses. Many parts of the books made me sad because of the lack of parental involvement, particularly on the father's part. I found myself getting choked up. The character of the mother....well, there is not much to say about her.....she is a transplanted Bocahontas.....living in New York City. I know too many women like her in South Florida, spent too much time with them while living there and care to not spend any more on them.
I am looking forward to this month's meeting...........WE ARE GOING TO THE MOVIES!!!!!!!! I have not been to a movie in a REALLY, REALLY LONG TIME! I am hoping that the ending is changed a bit though. That tends to happen in movies based off of books. The book ending bothered me a bit.....I wanted more from Nanny. I wanted her to confront Mrs. X....really let her have it. I am hoping that happens in the movie, and from the trailers it looks like it might go that way......we'll see! Let's hear it for all those smart-mouthed, opinionated girls......YOU ROCK!
2 comments:
So, not a recommend?? Maybe I'll just see the movie. Someday.
it is a quick read, entertaining....pure fluff. If you are in the mood for fluff it is good. I am sure the movie will cover it just fine. Kinda like The Devil Wears Prada....the movie was WAY better than the book. Maybe one day read it....but there are probably better things to read in the meantime.
Post a Comment